History is the study of the people in the past and how their actions have influenced the way we live our lives today. History helps children to make sense of the world in which they live and develop a sense of identity.
• arouse children’s interest in the past and stimulate their curiosity into finding out more by research and enquiry
• develop an awareness of the past to include it’s differences and influence on the present
• enable the children to understand how to find out about the past
• help the children develop a chronological framework for their knowledge of significant events and people
• develop skills to enable the children to begin to understand why some aspects of the past are subject to different interpretations
We like to provide first hand experiences whenever possible by using a range of sources to look at and interpret evidence. These include the use of artefacts, oral recounts relating to the past, visits to buildings and sites of special historical interest, ICT based materials including on the VLE, the use of ipads, TV/Video extracts, portraits, photograph, written materials and drama related activities.