At La Mare de Carteret Primary School, our Literacy curriculum has been carefully designed to enable our children to express themselves creatively and imaginatively, and to be able to communicate with others effectively. We want to develop our children’s love of reading, writing and discussion and to have the confidence to do this. We recognise and value the importance of modelling strong reading habits, encouraging our children to read widely and often, exploring rich and varied language and vocabulary. Children should take pride in their writing and are given opportunities to write for a clear purpose and an appropriate audience. We want to inspire our children to be confident in the art of speaking and listening, providing opportunities for them to practise these skills. Through a progressive, clear, and lively Literacy curriculum, we will give our children the tools and skills they require to experience and enjoy the wider literary works of our world.
Our Literacy Curriculum, which is centred around speaking, listening, reading and writing, enables our children to gain access to all areas of learning. Effective communication and language skills amongst our children enables them to be able to interact positively and confidently in different social contexts. We pride ourselves on giving our young learners opportunities to utilise their Literacy skills through discussions, decision making, and enterprising ideas to name a few.
We want our children to:
- Read for meaning, interest and enjoyment
- Be confident, fluent readers, reading and enjoying a range of fiction, non-fiction and poetry
- Enjoy writing for pleasure, and for a range of purposes and audiences
- Communicate their ideas in a sustained, fluent and consistent way
- Share their ideas, thoughts and opinions articulately and politely, using kind words
- Listen to and respond appropriately to others