Mathematics equips our children with the uniquely powerful set of tools to understand and change the world. These tools include logical reasoning, problem solving skills and the ability to think in abstract ways.
Mathematics is important in everyday life. It is integral to all aspects of life and with this in mind at La Mare De Carteret Primary School we endeavour to ensure that children develop a positive and enthusiastic attitude towards mathematics that will stay with them.
We aim to provide our children with a mathematics curriculum and high quality teaching to produce individuals who are numerate, creative, independent, inquisitive, enquiring and confident. We also aim to provide a stimulating environment and adequate resources so that pupils can develop their mathematical skills to the full.
Our children should:
• Have a well-developed sense of the size of a number and where it fits into the number system
• Know by heart age appropriate number facts such as number bonds, multiplication tables, doubles and halves
• Use what they know by heart to figure out numbers mentally
• Calculate accurately and efficiently, both mentally and in writing and paper, drawing on a range of calculation strategies
• Recognise when it is appropriate to use a calculator and be able to do so effectively
• Make sense of number problems, including ’real life’ problems and identify the operations needed to solve them
• Explain their methods and reasoning, using correct mathematical terms
• Judge whether their answers are reasonable and have strategies for checking them where necessary
• Suggest suitable units for measuring and make sensible estimates of measurements
• Explain and make predictions from the numbers in graphs, diagrams, charts and tables
• Develop spatial awareness and an understanding of the properties of 2d and 3dshapes
The National Numeracy Strategy describes in detail what children must learn in each year group. Combined with our schools Calculation Policy, this ensures continuity and progression and high expectations for attainment in maths.
Numeracy long term plan
Financial literacy is essential if individuals are to participate fully in life and is integral to the stability of society. Knowledge, skills and confidence in financial literacy will enable learners to ask the right questions to make well informed decisions that have both personal and societal consequences. Learners need the skills and qualities required to engage in enterprise to enable them to recognise and act on financial opportunities.