Our curriculum is designed to ensure children are healthy and active, safe and nurtured, included and respected and are able to reach their individual potential in order to support the four core outcomes of the Children and Young People’s Plan (CYPP).
We believe effective learning takes place when children are motivated and develop positive independent learning behaviours. Effective learning depends upon effective teaching. It is our aim to develop our staff through continued professional development and using feedback from our internal monitoring systems to enable them to become outstanding practitioners.
Pedagogy in our school is based around the inclusive principles of ‘Quality First Teaching’.
- Focussed lesson planning with clear objectives and outcomes
- High levels of engagement and interaction for all children
- Effective use of questioning, modelling and explaining
- Differentiated activities that are well matched to a child’s abilities and needs.
- Regular use of encouragement and authentic praise to engage and motivate children
How we teach the skills and knowledge
We ensure the skills and content defined in the Bailiwick Big Picture Curriculum is taught but we also teach some additional content from the UK National Curriculum. The curriculum is taught through daily, weekly and blocked lessons. There is a specific weekly timetable for each year group that ensures the time allocation for each subject is delivered. Blocked Foundation subjects are taught over 3 sessions in one week and are delivered using CUSP or Kapow resouces.